Friday, October 13, 2017

REASON - SEASON - LIFETIME


As I was leaving work I was trying to decide what I wanted to do for dinner. I knew: NO WAY- NO HOW would I be cooking for only me. It’s a Friday night, I wanted to go someplace and enjoy the weather.  I wanted to sit on the patio. But I also knew that I would be sitting by myself, which isn’t such a big deal except when life throws you lemons and you don’t like lemonade – well, I just didn’t really want to think too much.


I decided to go to Pita Jungle. I sat on the patio and I picked a table furthest away from other patrons with the exception of a table where two ladies sat directly in my vision.  I love to people watch and I like to make up stories  in my head that may (but probably not) be their story. While I’m conjuring up a funny scenario about these two ladies I noticed that something was amiss in their conversation. One of them was expressing some strange body language. I figured maybe she had some stomach distress…  lol – I dunno. After a few minutes, she gets up and leaves. Leaving the other lady there alone looking so sad. As I’m trying to act as if I didn’t notice them, my food comes.  The lady asked me what it was that I ordered.  I told her it was the caramelized onion and cauliflower and asked her if she wanted to try it. She actually accepted my offer, picked up a (clean) fork and took a bite. It made me smile. NO ONE EVER TAKES ME UP ON AN OFFER LIKE THAT.  It was probably the first time I smiled today.  She asked me if I would mind if she sat and kept me company. I didn’t mind. She looked so sad and I figured, WTH, I got nuthin’ else to do – besides if I was able to make someone smile then I would have done my good deed for the day.

The more I spoke with her, the more information I got on the story of her and her friend, (I’ll call her #2 for the second lady). It turns out she has been trying to get together with her friend for quite a while. The friend (#2) was making excuses and changing the plans and canceling over and over again until finally, she agreed to meet her at a time that was during the workday. #2 didn’t work but the first lady does. So, she was able to talk her into meeting her a little bit later which would be immediately after work. Lady # 1 was excited to share her news of a new job and other exciting events in her life. # 2, with the weird body language, seemed disinterested and left after only a few minutes. I don’t know for how long she was there before I sat down.




The more she told me, the more interested I became and quite frankly forgot about all that has been heavy on my mind.
She asked me what I thought of people that are supposed to be your friend but never find time to see you. She said she was hurt because this was on her schedule and assumed she’d at least have an hour or two to spend sharing with her friend. She also mentioned it wasn’t the first time she has done this to her and was wondering if there was something wrong with her. She actually asked me if I thought there was something wrong with her. She clearly was struggling. I sat there listening to her and then decided to introduce myself. I then said that I have a knack for being blunt, so because she asked me a question, I feel obligated to inform her that if I was going to tell her what I thought, she should know my name. She smiled and said that she appreciated the candor. 
I proceeded to tell her words that I’ve read before but never put two & two together. I said if people want to be in your life, they will make time to be in your life.  I also said we always look to blame ourselves for the reason why people choose not to place value on us or on a friendship.  We don’t have to be the reason why (well, not always) the reason why a friendship has an expiration date.  I then asked her why she thought it important to spend her time with someone who clearly wanted to be elsewhere? I told her, I believe people come into our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime.




SOMETHING CLICKED.







We chatted for a while longer then we said goodbye. I was thinking that maybe, as we hear so often EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON.

 She & I didn’t meet because she needed someone to talk to, no. We met because I needed it.









1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing story. You are an amazing woman. xo, Janet

    ReplyDelete