Sunday, September 17, 2017

Small World. No really…It’s A Small World After All


While reading Facebook posts I get a really big kick out of seeing people from my different worlds merge. I see a more than occasional ‘like’ or ‘share’ and even ‘post’ a reply on their respective page.  I say different worlds because I had several different clubs, as it were, for which I was merrily involved. 

Friends from 'da hood. Living downtown WAY before the tunnel was built we had blocks & blocks of kids running and playing ditch'em until the street lights came on. Sandy Holland, Evie Kellett, Susan & Teresa Fox. We lived on the same street, just one or two houses away. Paulette Goodfriend lived one blocked north 2 blocks west. We became friends because our older brothers met first. We're all connected via Facebook.

There was my grade school, Kenilworth. Although not really a ‘club’ it was what seems like another lifetime ago. It was a school. Young kids learning about life, friendships, silly grade school crushes with a little reading, writing & arithmetic thrown in. 
There were friends that we’ve lost through the years, whether it be just life or…just life - and death. The life of grade school friends that have resurfaced because of Facebook seems to be (to me) equally important because they helped shape who we have become.  
Steve Strutton, Bill Moody, Vincent Ala, Linda Stolzke. Grade school chums (really, I have NEVER used the word CHUMS before) that I quite literally have not seen since Kenilworth. Always dear to me, but before Facebook seemed only a memory from my youth.

Stephen Alford, Dino Bazan, Janelle Mull, Loretta Salazar, Tina Manley, Andy Androsuik, Leslie Lynn, Mari Giddings, people that I hadn’t seen since grade school or briefly in high school until we had a luncheon last year. THAT was so fun. Great memories brought back to present time. 

There are my Strumming Amigos. A life that is also another lifetime ago. When I started taking guitar lessons from my second**  guitar teacher.  A man so dear to my heart that thinking of him makes me tear up. Bob Diaz, teacher extraordinaire, Director of the Strumming Amigo’s actually worked  briefly for my dad in the carpet business. Although I am not certain in what capacity or duration of his employment. 

Yep, a small world. 

My  Amigo’s, I mean, my Friends from so many grade, middle & high schools around the valley became another tool in how our lives were forming.
Judy Honig, Leslie Lundquist, Amber Williams, Cheryl Dominguez, Sandra Dominguez, Virginia Martin, Rick Villa, Ruben Johnson, Torsiello's, the Chase's, Debbie Baker, Maureen Finnerty, Debbie/Dillon Powers, Kimmie Mar, Kim Feldman, Kip Adams, Joe Hernandez, Eleanor, the Mattsons, Darlene....OH SO MANY, please forgive me if I forgot your name. It's been so very long! You are part of me always. The Amigo's that came after the originals. Have been connected thanks to FB & Bob Diaz.

My West High friends, some older, some younger but all with the same connection, we are THUNDERBIRDS – ♪♪There they go- to conquer the foe…
This Facebook thang… it’s awesome.  I see my Amigo friends with high school friends that I think to myself, WOW, what a small world, but in this case,  some of my Amigos actually ended up at my high school where my grade school, Amigos and high school friends collide. How fun is that?
I see Ruben Johnson , Kipper Adams, my Amigo’s before we were T-birds liking and posting on younger siblings (Livensparkers from Kenilworth) of my younger sibling Billy. But I forget. They were friends before this FACEBOOK thing became huge, I just didn’t realize this connection is vast.

My Mary Moppet 'club'. Yes, me, the one that refuses to grow (okay I refuse to be an adult) worked at a day care center where I met a lovely girl  Mari Stuart, that shared so many fun days playing with the day care kids and, turns out our connection  was her sister who dated my Strumming Amigo brother, Steve Olea. 

Small world.

My Phoenix College "club"?? Met Mark Carlson and years later reconnected through radio.   Me at KEZ Radio and he as an astute writer for AP.  I came across the name Mark Carlson many times while in the news room and often wondered if he was THE Mark Carlson. Turns out. It was, he is....and to this day he makes me feel important. 

My banking 'club'. Friends that taught me my trucker vocabulary (If I say that as if  am proud- well, I AM!). I led a really sheltered life. I knew nothing about EVERYTHING. Is THAT correct?  Hmmm, Let me try that again.  There is nothing of which I knew anything. Huh?? They taught me much. It’s fun to see them on Facebook. I see and am happily  friends with a man whose mother taught me much about banking and life in general. Marie Jesberger was her name and sadly we lost her a few years ago.  I loved making Marie laugh. She made going to work fun because she was so much fun. Kind, stern & decent and full of beans! When I was pregnant with my first child, she made me a baby blanket and a baby bibb that had the name BARF on it because I was sick the whole pregnancy, and that’s what I name our unborn child because that’s all I did. I still have it. It means the world to me, just like Marie means the world to me. I like to think that she was instrumental in getting me connected with her son because his name would frequently appear as someone I may know on my news feed. So I sent him a friend request.  We actually spoke and he confirmed for me that my feelings about his mom were reciprocated. Made me cry. You never know what kind of effect you may have on people you admire. Jodi Leduc is another friend I met working at the bank and has been a constant reminder of how blessed I am. I can't be THAT terrible of a person if someone as lovely as Jodi KNOWS me and still allows me to be her friend. I wish that kind of friendship for everyone.

Friends that I met through the friends of my kids. To be more specific, their parents (it seems there's a circle of grade school life here). There are people you have connections with, and I don’t mean you’re connected on a social media website, I mean a good, heartfelt connection. They are people we were supposed to meet.

Cousins that I lost contact with. Turns out a few of them have connections with some from my other ‘clubs’. 

Yes, small world.

My ever so fun RADIO 'club'. KEZ Radio. What a life! Best job ever. Met the best people ever. Diane Bonilla, it’s strange how we met and became friends, didn’t really work together but met through our love of radio. And yes, we have quite a few mutual friends. Marty Manning, EVERYONE’S friend. So many connections. Donna Tardy, and her parents who were actually neighbors to a friend that owns a diner(5th Ave Café, on Thomas, check it out). We didn’t realize our connection until a few weeks ago.
I’m still connected to quite a few people and I am friends with a few of the celebs and LISTENERS I was lucky enough to meet.  Cyndi Suttle, Cathy Greco, Calista Jill. I am a lucky girl. I am friends with the most amazing people! Oh, yeah, Rich-BITE ME- Bauer. I met him through my radio 'club'.


Small world. 

Friends that I met through 'clubs' of my friends. Katie Derksen Tourville was Boberts first friend. They lost touch and she being the true blonde, (heh heh) didn't realize how important she was to him. I am blessed to have found a GREAT friend through my hubby. She also knows quite a few of the people for whom I am already close. 

Small world.

There are, of course, friends that have been a constant reminder that we walk in circles not alone.  (WTH, Yoda not am I.... Something to do talk in circles not - - -WHAT!?!).  I am blessed to have too many friends to mention, although I can mention a few that are on my daily prayer list.... that, of course includes my hubby, Maggie, Anna and Sandy, Vee and Mikey, Diana and Tom, Lona.....y'all didn't know that, huh?! Whilst planning our 40th  HS Reunion it has given me an opportunity to get to know Kelly & John Gerard. If not for our little FB Club, that might not have happened. They are nice, kind people. We have FB, but I hope to stay connected other than virtually. 

As I stated in the first paragraph, I get excited to see people in my ‘clubs’ merge with people from their ‘clubs’ and I wonder how else we may be connected.  What other clubs might we share? I hope they know they are instrumental in making this world a happier place. I hope I can bring as much happiness to others. I hope you know YOU  have brought happiness to my club(s), for that, I thank you!

Yes, A small world. This started out as me being excited that I see my clubs intertwining with other clubs. But it turns out there's so much more to this.
  
Food For Thought and I am certain I won't be able to word it exactly as it is shouting in my head but I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

On Facebook we have friend requests, we can block people for whatever reason(s), we can follow, unfollow, we can post, like, love, laugh and poke. We can be connected to people all over the world. Why can't we just get along in the real world?  If on Facebook we can have so many different clubs, pages, friends that get along happily, why can't we do that in the real world?

Just wondering.

Hey, wanna join my happy club?


**My first guitar teacher was an old, old grouchy man that smelled of campho phenique. Hmm, I don’t remember anything else about him. 

5 comments:

  1. So happy we can club together,and lucky to have you as a friend! Love you - keep writing in your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they know they are instrumental in making this world a happier place. I hope I can bring as much happiness to others. I hope you know YOU have brought happiness to my club(s), for that, I thank you! Click here

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Word Chums Cheat by the term word cheat, it’s looking like a game which is related to words, steering off to opponents, you use cheat codes. Word cheats mean to take advantage through acting dishonestly and unfairly.
    Checkout my page for more info Word Chums Cheat

    ReplyDelete